Wednesday, January 5, 2011

City of Kings

It's official! I am going to Lima, Peru for approximately 3 months. It will be for approximately a month at at time, with approximately a week back in Canada between. The final dates for all my departures and arrivals are not quite confirmed, but it is confirmed that I will be there starting January 17th.

So far, I feel no nervousness or trepidation, just excitement. A few years ago, I lived in Japan for 8 months. The first three months I spent in Japan were difficult, but I feel like after that I managed to learn how to handle and understand myself in a foreign country with a foreign language. I'm sure there will be a bit of an adjustment required, but I feel confident it will be more excitement and less frustration and loneliness than my initial months in Japan.

I've read a bit of the history of Lima, and it has an extensive cultural history! The area was home to three known civilizations before being conquered by the Incans and subsequently the Spanish. Modern-day Lima was named 'La Ciudad de los Reyes' - the 'City of Kings' - by its founder Francisco Pizarro in 1535. What an eloquent name! I've read that there are still some temples and historical structures in the area, so I plan to explore both the modern day and history!

No comments:

Post a Comment