Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sick (Again)

Yesterday I woke feeling slightly sick to my stomach, but otherwise in good spirits. Unfortunately, throughout the day I felt sicker and sicker, until I finally had to head straight home and crawl into bed. I'm not sure what made me sick again, but I felt terrible. When Doris got home, she took me to the pharmacy and got me some anti-biotics. I had some chicken soup for dinner and went to bed early.

Being sick when not at home is terrible. Being sick in another country is even worse. While I am generally enjoying Peru so far, I have to say that I did not expect to be sick so often. Even on days when I am not sick, I often feel out of sorts. Perhaps my body will eventually get used to it, although Doris has been here several months (maybe over a year?) and she still gets sick. Either way - I have decided this is the downside to Lima. It's a funny thing to get used to. When you are sick, you choose what you eat and drink carefully, and slowly get better. Once you feel better, you are happy to be able to eat whatever you want again. Not so. Here, if you go back to eating whatever you want, you get sick again. So I have resolved to only eat food I have cooked, and drink juice from sealed containers. Hopefully I can avoid getting sick again, and can enjoy my remaining time in Peru.

Despite being sick, I did have some fun yesterday.

1 comment:

  1. That's terrible. No more eating at TGI fridays. Sorry to have possibly lead you astray.

    Seems to me that the western food is getting you down. Just go full on Peruvian cuisine!

    ReplyDelete